I love this recipe. I love this recipe so much I give it to everyone I know. I think I’ve even given it to strangers off the street. It is delicious, healthy, versatile, AND cheap! All you need is a crock pot, and about 10 minutes. We make this recipe at least once a week, as it is my three year old’s favorite meal. Tonight, I served them with chicken tacos. Let’s pretend the lettuce on top is the veggie. I forgot to get the carrots in there.
Frugal Momma’s Famous Budget Black Beans
- 1.5 C dry black beans
- 4.5 C water
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/2 onion peeled, left whole
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 or 1/4 chopped jalapeno depending on your spice tolerance (seeds removed)
- sprinkle of cumin over top, about 1/8 tsp.
- Combine, cook on low 8 to 10 hours, or until soft. Discard onion. Serve as a side or main dish.
- Note: Sometimes I like to start these on high for 3-4 hours, then switch to low for 5-6 hours. If your beans do not seem to cook in 8-10 hours on low, try this method. I have found there to be a variance in the cooking times for different brands of dried beans. The older the beans, the longer they take to cook as well.
Here are some ideas for leftover black beans.
Hungry for more? Join the Save Money, Live Joyfully Facebook Community!