Today we are finishing up our series on discussing the health benefits of eating wide varieties of brightly colored food. Today we are looking at blue and purple fruits and vegetables.
- Blue/Purple Foods
- Blackberries are a highly concentrated source of antioxidants, which help fight free radicals, the nasty things that can cause diseases and cancer.
- Blueberries are often considered a super food. They contain tons of antioxidants. Some of the compounds in blueberries have been shown to prevent certain types of cancers, heart disease, eye diseases, and age-related brain stress.
- Grapes also contain many antioxidants that have been shown to support heart health and can can reduce the size of certain types of cancers. Grapes also help maintain a healthy blood sugar level.
- Raisins are simply dried grapes, and contain flavonoids which have antioxidant effects.
- Plums have certain compounds that neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals in the body. They also contain fiber, potassium and vitamin C.
- Figs can help lower high blood pressure due to their high potassium content, and help keep blood sugar under control. Figs can also be used to help minimize the symptoms of asthma.
- Eggplant is a recommended food to maintain overall health in people with type-2 diabetes. It can also lower cholesterol, and its compounds have been shown to prevent certain types of cancer.
In summary, it is important to eat many different colored foods throughout the day to maintain optimum health. Each food is a certain color because it had different natural chemicals and compounds that provide your body with different health benefits. Eating from the rainbow every day is one way to live life to the fullest. When you feel better physically, you’re happier.