One of my favorite parts of cooler weather (those two weeks we get here in California), is making hearty soups and stews for dinner. This beef stew is a family favorite, and such easy prep using the slow cooker! Browning the meat on the stove is crucial for tender, falling apart meat, so don’t skip it!
Comfy, Cozy Beef Stew
- 2.5 LB stewing beef
- 1 C water or beef broth
- 3/4 C red wine (Two Buck Chuck Merlot from Trader Joes works well here!)
- One 1.2 oz envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 6 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 C carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 C celery diced
- Brown stewing beef in a large skillet on stovetop.
- Add meat to crock pot.
- Add veggies to crock pot.
- Mix the water (or beef broth), wine, and beefy onion soup mix in a small bowl.
- Pour over beef and veggies and stir until combined.
- Cook on low 8 hours, until meat is tender.