This meal has sort of a Princess Leia thing going on…see the oranges as her braids? As soon as I can pry my eyes away from the uncanny resemblance, I want to share with you a recipe that we love!
Whenever Costco has their pork loins on sale, I’ll pick one up (they’re usually 8-10 lbs), cut them into 2 pound portions, and freeze them. Two pounds is plenty for our family of 4, and since I try to get the most out of my meat by shredding it when possible, one portion lasts us a couple days. Half of the portions I typically use for BBQ Pork, and the other half I make into shredded Mexican pork, aka Carnitas.
Slow Cooker Carnitas
adapted from Food Network
- 2 lb boneless pork loin or pork roast
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small jalapeno or 1/2 large jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 small orange, or 1/2 large orange halved
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pan, heat 2 TBS olive oil. Season pork with salt and pepper. Sear the pork until browned on all sides. Put into the crock pot.
- Mix 1 TBS olive oil with the oregano and cumin. Brush over loin/roast.
- Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Add the juice of the orange and any spent orange halves.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours, until pork shreds easily.
- Shred pork, add back into the slow cooker, and stir so it can continue to cook in the juices.
- Keep pork in the juices for one hour on warm or low setting.
- Serve as tacos, burritos, tostadas, or over beans and rice.
Join our Facebook Community
Browse my other family favorite recipes here