Junior celebrated his second birthday this week. It was so exciting that he could hear us singing to him. His “ears” (cochlear implants) have been a huge blessing, and there isn’t a day that goes by that we aren’t grateful for the miracle of sound.
So anyway, Junior’s birthday. We were asked several times if he was turning 3. The kid’s a tank. And he loves pancakes. Here is his favorite recipe…my kids have been known to eat a batch in one sitting!
Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes
(adapted from America’s Test Kitchen, New Best Recipe)
-2 C coconut milk or buttermilk (make your own buttermilk if you don’t have any on hand)
-2 C all-purpose flour
-3 TBS sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 large egg
-3 TBS butter, melted and cooled
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Mix the egg and melted, cooled butter into the coconut milk or buttermilk until combined (make sure the butter is cooled, or you’ll end up with chunks of scrambled egg in your pancakes!)
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk mixture. Stir until just combined and a few lumps remain. Let batter sit for 5-10 minutes.
4. Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle (if not using non-stick, add some butter or oil so the batter doesn’t stick), and pour 1/3 C to 1/2 C servings of batter onto the skillet/griddle. Sprinkle a few blueberries over the top of each pancake.
5. Once edges start to bubble and firm, flip pancakes and continue to cook until both sides are golden brown.
Pin this Recipe!
Browse All My Recipes