My Overnight Getaway (and Admitting How Much of a Nerd I Really Am!)


Not long ago, I had the opportunity to head up to Seattle for a day  or two by myself. (I’ll tell you the super fun, albeit nerdy, reason in a minute.) Since I have never been away from both of my kids for longer than a 5 hour span, I was equally excited and terrified.

My husband volunteered to take the kids to work with him for two days (I just LOVE that man), so I could have the opportunity to go up. So I left my house at 8am on a Tuesday morning (my kids couldn’t understand that mommy was going to be gone for an entiiirrreeeee night), got settled on the airplane for my 10am flight, and took off. Wait for this…I READ. A BOOK. ALONE. It was like a 3 hour flight or something…I don’t actually know how long it was, because I was so blissfully engaged in my book and the music coming from my headphones without anyone yelling that they need a snack or they need to pee or their ears hurt or they forgot their favorite doll’s left shoe.


I got into Seattle, and my first stop was Costco, naturally (much like Canada last year) but I wasn’t that thrilled with it. I got a jar of Salmon Rub seasoning, but everything else was similar to my local Costco.

I drove a few miles into the City, and checked into my hotel. I stayed at the Inn at the Market, a charming little boutique hotel right in Pike Place Market. Since I despise driving in downtowns (one way streets and pedestrians stress me out), I wanted to stay within walking distance to the famous indoor/outdoor market and all the shops and restaurants. I loved the view from my room! I splurged for a water view and am glad I did. Although, coming from San Diego, I wasn’t used to the cloudy, dreary skies.



Since I arrived in Seattle right about lunchtime, I had the entire afternoon to myself. (Without children, mind you. I didn’t know what to do with myself!)

I wandered around Pike Place Market. There were a lot of interesting novelty shops, little restaurants, and there’s a daily craft fair with artisans selling everything from homemade jams, to hand sewn aprons, to animals carved out of the ash of Mt. St. Helens.


For dinner, I had some of the best clam chowder ever at Pike Place Chowder.


After dinner, I went back to my room to read and study (more about that in a minute!)

The next morning I woke up and wandered around the market again. I got some Crumpets from the Crumpet Shop, and even brought a pack home to freeze for later, they were so amazing.



I also bought a huge filet of Wild King Salmon that had just been caught the day before from the Pike Place Fish Market, and had them wrap it in dry ice and newspaper to bring home (Tater loves salmon!)

I had to leave the Market by 10:30am to reach my next destination at a hotel downtown. I checked out of the hotel and headed out, giving myself an hour to go three miles. (I told you that one-way streets and pedestrians stress me out. It took a half hour to get there, thanks to some unfortunate wrong turns.)

At 11:30am, I walked into a hotel conference room, took a deep breath, and sat down along with about a dozen other well dressed folks. I was the youngest in the group, but still confident.

I had been invited to a live interview for a Jeopardy! contestant search!


I had passed the online Jeopardy! exam last year, and after some back and forth regarding my schedule (I had been out of town for the original interview last Fall), was invited up to Seattle for a live interview and another exam.

I think I did well–I even got to play a mock live game using a real Jeopardy! buzzer. I won’t know whether I’m going to appear as a contestant, but I’m in their active file for the next 18 months, so hopefully I will get chosen and notified soon. Appearing on Jeopardy! has been a dream of mine since I was 11 years old. My dad and I watched Jeopardy! together every single night from the time I was in 6th grade until I got married and moved out.

After the interview, I rushed out to the airport to try and catch an earlier flight home (I finally got a night away from my kids and I missed them to death and just wanted to get home!) It was interesting…but I made it. Let’s just say that I may have lost a shoe somewhere running through the middle of SeaTac, and had to jump through the train doors as they were closing on me to make it to my gate just as they were closing the doors to depart.

It was a fun evening away, (thought I sure missed my family), and hopefully I will have news about Jeopardy! soon. I’ll keep you posted!

Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

3 thoughts on “My Overnight Getaway (and Admitting How Much of a Nerd I Really Am!)

  1. Sara, I love everything about this. Your husband offering to take the kids, hanging out by yourself for a whole night and Jeopardy! I would love to be on that show, but I don’t think I’d get past the online portion, lol. My dad and I watch that show together a lot too. Good luck and keep us posted!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>