One of our favorite soup recipes is this Chicken Tortilla Soup. It comes together in half an hour, uses leftover shredded chicken, and the lime and cilantro make it fresh and bright, despite being hearty enough to serve on even the coldest winter evening. You could even substitute leftover shredded turkey from your Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for the chicken!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 6 C chicken stock or broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 C black beans (either from scratch or one 14.5 oz can)
- 2 C cooked shredded chicken
- 3 limes (2 limes juiced, one lime cut into wedges)
- 3/4 C fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced for serving
- Monterey Jack cheese for serving
- Crushed tortilla chips for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot over medium heat, heat the EVOO and add onions. Cook until softened, 3–5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapenos, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and black beans.
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked shredded chicken to soup.
- Add the juice of 2 limes and 3/4 C cilantro.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, and lime wedges.
- Try not to eat the entire batch yourself!